[VoiceOps] [External] Re: [External] Re: 9-8-8 dialing when an outside line access code (9) is being used

Hunter Fuller hf0002+nanog at uah.edu
Mon Jul 18 19:33:23 EDT 2022

I hate to tell y'all this, but not only do my users dial 9 from their
faxes to get out, they also fax internally (interdepartmentally) with
some frequency. So, yes, these users dial 4 digits from their fax
machines.

Look. I get that the dial-9 thing is not how you would build a system
today, but what I'm trying to say is this:
If the current way worked for decades, through multiple phone system
forklifts, enabling us to not retrain our users; and if 988 is the
first time we have ever had any issue with it; then at what point
exactly were we "supposed to" have "seen the light" and migrated away
from it? And what value would it have brought us at that time?

It's not like our users are constantly getting confused by this. We
dispatch an email to new employees with basics on using the phone, and
not once has anyone ever found it confusing or difficult. Some of
these users will have dialed their desk phone the exact same way for
THIRTY YEARS (not an exaggeration). What value does it bring me to
shake it up, aside from giving them the ability to dial 988 without a
delay? Is there even one other benefit? I am genuinely grasping here.

--
Hunter Fuller (they)
Router Jockey

Office of Information Technology