[VoiceOps] [External] Re: 9-8-8 dialing when an outside line access code (9) is being used

Dave Brockman dave at brockmans.com
Mon Jul 18 19:53:19 EDT 2022

On 7/18/2022 6:45 PM, Nathan Anderson via VoiceOps wrote:

> But 10-digit dialing (vs. 11-digit) is absolutely a thing.  And since
> even intra-LATA long-distance has itself existed for decades, and
> always required dialing the full 11 digits even if the destination
> number is in the same NPA as the caller's, the only actual change was
> going from 7 to 10 digits for local calls.

I have a local provider who requires 7 digit dialing for local (in the
same NPA) on both a PRI and a SIP trunk.  10 digits give an error.  We
are in a funky area where there are a couple of additional TN ranges in
another NPA that are considered local, those require 10 digits.  All LD
requires 11 digits.

Personally, on the systems I administer, they have all been 10 digits
for a decade plus at this point.  SIP, of course

With Gratitude,

-dtb