[VoiceOps] Mailman 'Reply-To' munging (was: Re: 9-8-8 dialing [...])

Nathan Anderson nathana at fsr.com
Wed Jul 20 07:18:53 EDT 2022

What mail client are you using?

Prior to Monday afternoon, "Sender" was voiceops-bounces@ (as it still is),
"From" was the actual sender, "To" was (as you'd expect) voiceops@, and
"Reply-To" was not set (unless perhaps the sender set it in their mail client?
not sure if that was getting preserved or stripped).

In this configuration, Outlook would reply to the sender if I hit Reply, or to
both the sender AND the list if I Reply To All.  Okay, fine.  At least there is
a one-button solution to auto-filling the list as one of the destination
addresses.

Since Monday afternoon, though, "From" is now getting overwritten to voiceops@,
and "Reply-To" is being set to the original sender.  A sign that "Reply-To
munging" is occuring.

In this configuration, as described in the post I linked to earlier, Outlook
apparently honors the "Reply-To" header and *only* that header, as it doesn't
matter if I hit Reply or Reply To All: only the original sender's address gets
filled in the To field.  I have to now manually backspace that out, and replace
with the voiceops list address (assuming I even notice it and am not running on
autopilot).

(I suppose Outlook's behavior