[VoiceOps] Non-ITG Traceback Requests

Calvin Ellison calvin.ellison at voxox.com
Wed Mar 23 12:46:29 EDT 2022

Has anyone received a traceback request from a party other than the ITG or
a law enforcement agency?

Is there any law or rule that requires a carrier to respond to a traceback
request from the general public?

A private individual has contacted us requesting a traceback based on our
STIR/SHAKEN signature, but they are not a member of the ITG and do not have
any accompanying legal device like a subpoena. They also do not appear to
be a carrier, and I question whether this person's own carrier should be
passing the Identity header to them at all. This person has been citing 47
U.S. Code § 222(d)(2), claiming there is no restriction on who CPNI can be
shared with, but I don't believe this gives them any standing to request a
trackback without a legal device.

We've engaged our own counsel about this, but I'm curious what
other carriers have been experiencing.

Calvin Ellison

Systems Architect

calvin.ellison at voxox.com

+1 (213) 285-0555

<http://voxox.com>

<https://www.facebook.com/VOXOX/> <https://www.instagram.com/voxoxofficial/>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/3573541/admin/>
<https://twitter.com/Voxox>

The information contained herein is confidential and privileged information
or work product intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is
addressed. Any unauthorized use, distribution, or copying of this
communication in error, please notify me immediately.