[VoiceOps] Lack of Sandbox

Mike Johnston mjohnston at wiktel.com
Wed Oct 12 14:22:51 EDT 2022

I wish more 911 systems had a 933 number.  I've made actual 911 calls
for testing purposes more times than I can remember.  I always call the
Sheriff's Office admin line first, asking if this is an alright time.
But sometimes my 911 call is routed to a different county than I
expected, and that doesn't always go so well with the dispatcher.  But
that sort of proves why we need to do the test calls.

On a related note, we sometimes setup a 977 number on PBX systems.  This
will read back the number that will be outpulsed if you were to call
911.  There are scenarios where what you would normally want to use as
the outbound calling number is not the same as what you want to use when
calling 911 (for E911 location, callback, etc.).  Our 977 number helps
us verify we have at least that much configured correctly.

But we still would need to call 911 so a dispatcher can verify the rest.
"Does your console say which room I am in, or which floor I am on?"
"Room 207, Floor 2, Entrance 4"
"Perfect.  I'll call you back in a minute from the next room."