[VoiceOps] Lack of Sandbox

Mike Johnston mjohnston at wiktel.com
Wed Oct 12 15:37:48 EDT 2022

On 2022-10-12 13:34, Carlos Alvarez via VoiceOps wrote:
> So do you actually make a call from every room?  Say, if there are 200
> of them?

No.  We do some sample.  Of your hypothetical 200 phones, probably 100
or more are very similar (school classrooms, hotel rooms, office
workers).  For those, we try to get at least one from each floor, one
from each wing, one from each major office, that sort of thing.

So a 2-floor hotel might get three 911 calls.  One from the front desk,
one from a room on the first floor, and one from a room on the second
floor.  If the owner of the hotel lives in the hotel, then we might make
a fourth 911 call from their apartment/room.

> And how does that go with the PSAP ops?

After a few calls, they are getting less friendly with us.  I try to be
clear up front with how many calls I intend to make.  Before hanging up
each 911 call, I tell them how many more calls there are to go.  The
last call I tell them, "This is the final call...this concludes my
testing," and, "Thank you for your time!"

I'm told that some PSAPs have to write up a report for every 911 call
they get, and that for some, their software sometimes does not let them
group together multiple calls into one report.

If it wasn't for the inconvenience to the PSAPs, we would probably test
EVERY phone we install.  At least I would.  To me, a phone isn't fully
installed unless 911 is known to work correctly.