[VoiceOps] Percentage of US Wireless Calls that fail to reach/ring phone?

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Thu Feb 9 01:04:26 EST 2023

Is there any published studies on the number of incoming calls that are
placed to a US Wireless mobile number that fail to actually reach or ring
the phone?

Any studies that go through the most common reasons why that occurs?

I am curious about network prioritization, cell tower capacity
rules/management, and why, if a cellular device has a "good enough"
connection to a tower might the signal to the device that there is an
incoming call NOT be sent?

I have a lot of customers who get frustrated when there is a call we are
forwarding or making to them, and we reach their mobile carrier, but their
mobile device does not ring. They say "I'm looking right at it, and you say
you're calling it, but it isn't ringing!" As if the wireless network is
somehow under our control.

There's a lot of marketing about "network quality" and "network coverage"
but very little about dropped calls, or calls that fail to start and go
straight to Voicemail.

Beckman