[VoiceOps] Players in the US SMS Game / Market

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Thu Feb 9 01:12:28 EST 2023

Hey Calvin --

Left you a VM today in hopes you would know more than I about this!

I applied / appealed to TCR for a P2P use case exception for our consumer
traffic. I implemented many/most of the CTIA Best Practices for P2P traffic
in code to automatically prevent a customer from signing up and using our
service to spam a few thousand people.

TCR approved our appeal finally in July 2021, though it took a few months.

But the thing that sucks is that there isn't really anything to it -- I
have an email from the CEO of TCR saying that our use case meets their P2P
requirements, and to "show the email" to our carriers as proof.

Very weird.

But it works.

We have P2P binds with Bandwidth, and Inteliquent required us to pay $750
for our own dedicated P2P NetNumber ID, but now we have it and all SMS is
routed through it, at least for IQ DIDs.

We have not talked to Bandwidth about routing ALL of our SMS through our
P2P NNID, but we might, as currently we are sharing the Bandwidth P2P NNID
with who knows how many other customers, and if they get blocked, we get
blocked.

P2P is NOT treated as "high priority" by either carrier; we had a recent
issue where Outbound BW DIDs could not reach VZW. I'm still investigating
what entity broke it and why and how and hoping they fix it. I'll be adding
some monitoring around it soon so I know when it breaks before our
customers.

Hope that helps.

Beckman
+1 571 527 2972 if you wanna chat about it