[VoiceOps] STIR/SHAKEN warning!

David Frankel dfrankel at zipdx.com
Thu Jul 6 19:25:58 EDT 2023

Nathan wrote: "Since implementing S/S in the U.S. requires a 499 Filer ID,
it is actually kind of infuriating that the RMD does not have 499 Filer ID
as a required field on their form.  That would nip this issue right in the
bud if they did."

Yes, that would be a good idea. Generally it is easier to get a 499A Filer
ID than it is an OCN.

The good news is that in their Sixth Report and Order
(https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-23-18A1.pdf) the FCC wrote, at
paragraph 48:

"Finally, we require filers to submit their OCN if they have one. An OCN is
a prerequisite to obtaining an SPC token, and we conclude that filing the
OCN or indicating that they do not have one will allow us to more easily
determine whether a provider is meeting its requirement to diligently pursue
obtaining a token in order to authenticate their own calls and provides an
additional way to determine relationships among providers."

Presumably they will implement this shortly (the Order is pending some
administrative reviews).