[VoiceOps] STIR/SHAKEN warning!

Ivan Kovacevic ivan.kovacevic at startelecom.ca
Fri Jul 7 09:27:01 EDT 2023

Hopefully on-topic. How are you handling TFN atestations?

Although a part of NANP - it's a different technology at the network level
in terms of chain of authority and routing.

RespOrg manages the number, but can provision and use many carriers to make
outbound calls using the TFN Caller ID (and to receive inbound calls via
the same TFN)... RespOrgs is not necessarily a carrier - who and how checks
that RespOrg has the authority in case of delegated attestation. I may be
overcomplicating it in my mind.. but it doesn't feel like the regulation
maps 1-to-1 over to TFNs... Just wondering what everyone's experience is.

Thanks,

Ivan

On Thu, Jul 6, 2023 at 7:26 PM David Frankel via VoiceOps <
voiceops at voiceops.org> wrote:

> Nathan wrote: "Since implementing S/S in the U.S. requires a 499 Filer ID,
> it is actually kind of infuriating that the RMD does not have 499 Filer ID
> as a required field on their form.  That would nip this issue right in the
> bud if they did."
>
> Yes, that would be a good idea. Generally it is easier to get a 499A Filer
> ID than it is an OCN.
>
> The good news is that in their Sixth Report and Order
> (https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-23-18A1.pdf) the FCC wrote,
> at
> paragraph 48:
>
> "Finally, we require filers to submit their OCN if they have one. An OCN is
> a prerequisite to obtaining an SPC token, and we conclude that filing the
> OCN or indicating that they do not have one will allow us to more easily
> determine whether a provider is meeting its requirement to diligently
> pursue
> obtaining a token in order to authenticate their own calls and provides an
> additional way to determine relationships among providers."
>
> Presumably they will implement this shortly (the Order is pending some
> administrative reviews).

NOTE: This email message and
any attachments are for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s) and may
contain confidential and/or privileged
information. Any unauthorized review,
use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the
sender by replying to this email, and destroy all copies of
the original
message.