[VoiceOps] STIR/SHAKEN warning!

David Frankel dfrankel at zipdx.com
Fri Jul 7 10:51:50 EDT 2023

Ivan asks: “How are you handling TFN atestations?”

When the signer of a call gives A-level attestation, it means that the signer knows that the caller “is authorized to use” the calling number.

The signer can “know” that in any of a variety of ways. For toll-free numbers, the most sophisticated and secure is probably via Delegate Certificates. SOMOS, the North American Toll-Free Number Administrator, has commented about this in a current FCC proceeding: https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/10605623514445/1

As the signer, there are other ways you could determine that the caller is authorized to use the number. For example, you could solicit some documentation from them (like an invoice from their RespOrg and/or service provider) and you could call the number and verify that your caller answers. The regulations (today) do not specify exactly how you “know” so you (as the signer) need to act in the spirit of the rules.

This problem is not unique to toll-free numbers. I might have a geographic number that I obtain from provider A (and that’s how I get inbound calls to the number), but I make outbound calls from that number via providers B and C for redundancy and cost reasons.

Bear in mind that providers can set their own rules for what calls they will accept and what attestations they will assign, and those rules can be more restrictive than what might be dictated by regulation. For example, a provider might say “I will only assign A-level attestation to calls that use calling numbers assigned by me.” That’s their prerogative.  In fact, a provider might say: “I will only accept calls that use calling numbers assigned by me. Those calls will get A-level attestation. I will reject all other calls.” There are no rules (to my knowledge) that prohibit providers from setting these kinds of rules.