[VoiceOps] STIR/SHAKEN warning!

Nathan Anderson nathana at fsr.com
Fri Jul 7 17:34:04 EDT 2023

I suspect things might be different now (& I just haven't kept up), but
although it is clearly *possible* to transmit a TFN as the calling number /
CID, I seem to remember that even just a mere few years ago, it was HIGHLY
discouraged, and if you ever were to receive a call bearing a TFN as its CID,
it had a very high likelihood of being fraudulent or spam.  This was of course
back when the vast, vast majority of TFNs were essentially implemented as a
call forward or alias to a number that hung off of a local exchange.  So of
course outbound calls that many? most? companies with TFNs would make would
typically be sourced from their local exchange number(s) and not from the TFN
(s) (unless maybe a given company had a PRI and their provider allowed them to
source calls from their TFN?).

Loosely tangentially related, as a purely anecdotal report, I will note that I
have yet to see a S/S signature/PASSporT attached to ANY calls made *to* ANY of
our TFNs, via any of the 3 SIP wholesalers we have used as both RespOrgs and
for actual traffic.

-- Nathan