[VoiceOps] TF number ported out/re-assigned without authorization

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Tue Mar 14 17:03:17 EDT 2023

You're not alone.

We've had numbers ported out without authorization or even the correct
information before, and we get billed for it for months until someone
notices.

We've also put numbers into production that our carrier provided, only to
find out they should not have been in their inventory at all.

We went as far as sending test calls or SMS messages to each number in our
inventory about once every 2 weeks, and generate a report of numbers that
have failed the test (we didn't receive the inbound call or text). This has
helped us detect issues earlier, but not prevent them.

We have implemented Port Out Webhooks with Bandwidth and that has prevented
several incorrect Port Outs.

Mistakes happen, but Thinq seems to have royally messed up here. There is
no requirement for carriers to regularly validate that they are still the
CLEC/ILEC/RespOrg carrier of record for a number, and honestly there is no
proactive notification sometimes either, so they simply might not know. But
most carriers assume that if it is in their system, it is probably still
there and theirs. This just isn't the case in a small number of situations,
and these situations really suck.

Beckman