[VoiceOps] All carriers must get their STIR/SHAKEN certificate by June 30th!

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed May 31 16:13:42 EDT 2023

I once again hate to press this point further, but what exactly is meant by "your customer uses" and "another party"?

I don't mean this from a place of needless pedantry: there's a legitimate question here around what the limits of this concept are. Does the customer have to be human, and do the calls placed have to be manually dialed or automatically dialed on behalf of a human caller or agent of some sort? How "other" does the "another party" have to be?

For example, where would a (legitimate) outbound dialing service, such as an appointment reminder or other business automation service, fall on this spectrum? Since the beneficiaries of such an offering are third parties, presumably it is safe to say that the service provider is providing an originating voice service to a "customer" who "uses" it to make calls to "another party" not themselves.

But what about companies who are themselves internal consumers of such a service, i.e. have an in-house telephony apparatus of some sort?

What if the outbound calling is to members of one's own organisation and not to other parties, but on their personal mobiles?

I suppose I was never quite sure where the delineation for "interconnected VoIP provider" or "VoIP service provider" falls. I have a commonsensical idea of what that is, and in most cases whether a company is inside or outside this bracket is fairly self-evident. However, for purposes of this regulation, that may not be enough.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov
Principal Consultant