[VoiceOps] IPAWS/FEMA National Test - VoWIFI

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Oct 4 15:25:04 EDT 2023

I have a report from a usually reliable source that he did not receive today's
IPAWS/CMAS/WEA test message, and he surmises this might be because his phone
handset is forced to VoWIFI.  I have a number of other reports, mostly though
not all, from the broadcast engineering community; nobody reported expecting
a CMAS and not getting it, so that's not data here.

Is anyone on the list involved with the FEMA/IPAWS/CMAS link, or knows someone
who is, and has a channel to clear this query up through?

I could be unsurprised to find that the carrier VoWIFI proxies missed out on
proxying SMS Cell Broadcast, which I gather provides the underlying PHY for
CMAS.

Cheers,
-- jra