[VoiceOps] Voice Peering

Pinchas Neiman neimanpinchas at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 11:18:42 EDT 2023

By reading the RFCs I was able to grasp 75% of it, it's well written and
covers your *clear *constraint, at least on how to verify the SIP header
comes from a trustworthy authority (If you agree on the root authority)
Practically implementing STIR/SHAKEN has bureaucracy involved.

On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 9:38 PM Jawaid Bazyar via VoiceOps <
voiceops at voiceops.org> wrote:

> Is there a good clear document somewhere describing how STIR/SHAKEN is
> supposed to work?
>
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 9:33 PM Matthew Crocker via VoiceOps <
> voiceops at voiceops.org> wrote:
>

>> > On Oct 24, 2023, at 9:13 PM, Peter Beckman via VoiceOps <
>> voiceops at voiceops.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > CAUTION: This email originated from outside of Crocker. Do not click
>> links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the
>> content is safe.
>> >

>> > The challenge is how do you authenticate the end "carrier" or service
>> > provider?
>> >

>> STIR/SHAKEN
>>

>> > Sure, anyone who leases numbers directly from NANPA can look up the
>> carrier
>> > of record and exchange traffic directly, but any business who also
>> leases
>> > numbers INDIRECTLY gets cut out and still needs to pay their upstream
>> > carrier(s) to place/receive calls, either by channels or per minute,
>> even
>> > if their upstream is directly peered and not transiting the PSTN at all.
>> >
>> > If this would be for the end user, then NANPA would have to delegate to
>> the
>> > leasee, the leasee delegate to the reseller, the reseller to the end
>> user,
>> > then the end user could publish their VoIP contact info, and anyone
>> could
>> > call directly via VoIP, cutting out all of the middle peers.
>> >
>> > But, as another person said, this is ripe for abuse, and with no
>> motivation
>> > by NANPA or the larger carriers to make calls less expensive for the
>> > reseller or end user, I see this going nowhere. Until there is some
>> value
>> > in NANPA (plus all the other country telephony organizations) and the
>> > direct carriers leasing numbers to do so.
>> >
>> > Beckman

>> like
>> worth

>> suffer

>> interested

>> also
>> route
>> besides me
>> production.)

*Pinchas S. Neiman*
Software Engineer At ESEQ Technology Corp.
845.213.1229 #2