[VoiceOps] Voice Peering

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Oct 25 15:07:30 EDT 2023

> On 24 Oct 2023, at 21:13, Peter Beckman via VoiceOps <voiceops at voiceops.org> wrote:
>
> The challenge is how do you authenticate the end "carrier" or service
> provider?
>
> Sure, anyone who leases numbers directly from NANPA can look up the carrier
> of record and exchange traffic directly, but any business who also leases
> numbers INDIRECTLY gets cut out and still needs to pay their upstream
> carrier(s) to place/receive calls, either by channels or per minute, even
> if their upstream is directly peered and not transiting the PSTN at all.
>
> If this would be for the end user, then NANPA would have to delegate to the
> leasee, the leasee delegate to the reseller, the reseller to the end user,
> then the end user could publish their VoIP contact info, and anyone could
> call directly via VoIP, cutting out all of the middle peers.

Bingo. In addition to that, how many resellers or end-users have the technical means or inclination to "peer" with anyone? What's that? Who cares.

This reminds me of the direction of crypto. In a small echo chamber of enthusiasts, there were some really starry-eyed, big and dreamy computer-sciency conversations about decentralised ledgers and this and that, tyranny and sticking it to autocracy and so forth, but in the real world, crypto needs to be mediated by the same old centralised financial institutions to be even faintly useful to just about anyone in the general population.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov
Principal Consultant