[VoiceOps] A2P-aaS

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Sep 7 16:31:16 EDT 2023

I have a purely internal portal application that is used to send SMS notifications about customer monitoring incidents and emergencies about... twice a month. Maybe 5-10 messages per month total, across several associates combined. It's all done through Twilio's SMS API.

There is not enough Prozac, pot, liquor, etc. in the world that's going to make me log into Twilio's portal and do their campaign enrollment. For these negligible volumes of purely internal notification traffic, a pure cost centre, not customer-facing anything, etc., I just don't care, and you won't make me care.

However, these notifications are fairly essential because they allow me to pierce the iOS "Do Not Disturb" wall on our phones and get them even at 3 AM. There's no decent over-the-top alternative I can see; I have to enable notifications for an over-the-top messaging application as a whole, the last thing I want to do.

So, there's a business opportunity here for an SMS provider who 1) offers a relatively straightforward REST API to send SMS and 2) will take care of the A2P campaign garbage aspect.

I'd love if someone took that up.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov