[VoiceOps] CLID weirdness

Dave Brockman dave at brockmans.com
Thu Sep 21 18:26:56 EDT 2023

Hello,
   First, please forgive me, I am a network engineer by trade, I am not
extremely well-versed in telephony.  Please forgive me if I use the
wrong terminology or otherwise misstate something.  It is not intended
and does not come from malicious intent.
   I have a customer with a SIP trunk from $LocalTeleco.  We send our
own CLID out from our (3CX) PBX.  For one specific DID (which also
happens to be the office main number /sigh) everywhere I can see it
calling, shows up as "Restricted, Anonymous, or Private".  However, I
can call MCI at 800.444.4444 and they tell me the correct CLID digits.
I have several hundred other DIDs that I can present, and appear
correctly at the same receiving carriers that show
restricted/anonymous/private on the main DID, and MCI will read back the
expected digits.
   Would anyone more versed in this side of things be willing to let me
make a couple of test calls, and you tell me if you see anything strange
that I can take back to $LocalTeleco?  This has been working as expected
for about 3 years, somewhere in the past couple of months, something has
changed (and not on our end).  $LocalTeleco says everything looks fine
to them, but I think they are not super well versed in their Phone
switch (mostly by listening to them confer with colleagues and looking
up documentation while I'm on the phone with them).

With Gratitude,

Dave Brockman
Senior Network Engineer
Gig City Cloud, LLC