[VoiceOps] Hotel Phone Requirements

Carlos Alvarez caalvarez at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 14:49:26 EST 2024

 I’ve looked into this for two mid size hotels.  I decided that we were not
qualified, and also had no idea how to price it and be fair but
profitable.  Here’s a bullet list of concerns which I think are unique to
the industry:

   1. 911 requirements are stringent and detailed.
   2. Wiring was ancient in both properties, not ready for ethernet.  This
   seemed “normal” in the industry according to them.
   3. Even for analog, some wiring was sketchy and we were unsure about
   being able to re punch down corroded wires.
   4. Neither had any fixed IT support contracts and suggested that was
   normal in the industry.
   5. They about coughed up their skulls at an estimate of running fiber
   backbones for reliability, because the copper was ancient.
   6. They mostly require 24/7 support.

Enjoy this photo of one of the IDFs.  Which they didn’t want to pay to
rebuild, and indeed, nobody knows how far back that cable is damaged.