[VoiceOps] Hotel Phone Requirements

Carlos Alvarez caalvarez at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 17:45:13 EST 2024

On Feb 2, 2024 at 1:21:53 PM, Jay Hennigan via VoiceOps <
voiceops at voiceops.org> wrote:

> Post-cellular, hotel phone systems are a cost center and most properties
> spend as little as possible to keep them functioning. The ability to
> easily order room service is about the only profit to be made.

I should have put this on my list.  We normally deal with companies where
we provide a great communications value proposition.  The hotels have a
seething hatred for the phone burden, which is legally mandated and also
part of their franchise agreements.  All for nothing, because nobody uses
the room phone.  The desk told me they get less than a handful of calls
from rooms in a day.  People pick up their cell phone and call the main
number to reach them.  Going into that environment seems like a huge new
challenge in sales and relations because you’re no longer proposing value;
only wasted costs.  What will they say every time you have to ask them for
cash to fix aging wires or replace analog interfaces?

Unless you're willing to spend a lot of time and resources on becoming
> the local 800-pound gorilla in the hospitality phone space I'd pass on
> it beyond handing them a PRI off of a TA900 to keep the legacy Mitel
> alive. Those things are built like tanks and may outlast us all.

The other side is that the two companies I tried to work with had a very
hard time getting prompt local service because the system experts are
literally dying off.