[VoiceOps] Hotel Phone Requirements

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Feb 2 18:26:13 EST 2024

> On 2 Feb 2024, at 17:45, Carlos Alvarez via VoiceOps <voiceops at voiceops.org> wrote:
>
> The desk told me they get less than a handful of calls from rooms in a day.  People pick up their cell phone and call the main number to reach them.

While I've never pretended to understand telephony end-users well, this seems confounding to me. Calling into the hotel through the outside can be much less inconvenient. If it is a small, boutique type hotel, maybe you can get to the front desk straight away, but many major hotel chains will publish a local "main number" for the hotel that in reality sends you to a centralised IVR, and potentially centralised customer service in my experience, especially for reservations. There can be a lot of hoops to jump through to actually get to the concrete front desk of any particular hotel per se.

Meanwhile, pressing the Front Desk or Room Service button on the in-room phone seems to result in proper and correct internal routing within the property, and also displays correct caller room info to the recipient. This leads me to always use the room phone when needing to contact hotel staff for any reason.

How weird.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov