Re: [nsp] RSVP TE question

From: Sean Crocker (crockers@mail.trinicom.com)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 18:07:29 EDT

Jun,

>I am just trying to think aloud here:
>
>If there is an LSP passing through the router, it
>comes into interface A, goes out of interface B,
>the RSVP reservation is only on interface B, is this
>right? If so, how could we guarantee interface A will
>have enough bandwidth for the tunnel, since its
>bandwidth could be less than the outbound interface B.

Normally that would not happen because the upstream node
that's connected to interface A should fail the reservation
(or actually the preceeding PATH) since it *should* have an
accurate idea of the links's remaining reservable bandwidth.

However, that holds true mainly for P2P links, not multiple
nodes on a shared media. Even worse, consider the following:

Ingress(GigE)-Switch-(FastE)NodeA(GigE)--(GigE)Egress

Here NodeA has only one upstream neighbor, which could swamp
NodeA's FastEthernet interface. I don't think any CSPF
implementations will check the "back-link" to prevent this
(although I could be wrong). I suppose this is one situation
that an offline path calculation server could address.

This is more of an issue with the RSVP/RSVP-TE and not cisco's
implementation per se. You should read the RFCs for a bit and
perhaps post to mpls-ops@mplsrc.com if you still have concerns.

Sean