Re: [nsp] RSVP TE question

From: JUN (yulingnan@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 19:03:19 EDT

Sean/Shankar,

This is exactly where I am coming from, the multiple
access interface will have no idea what the remote
end can accept. I am surprised this is not clearly
mentioned at some places, I have been trying to
confirm this by surfing the web pages, but got
nothing.
Glad to get this cleared up

I certainly understand this has nothing to do with any
vendor's implementation.

Thanks a lot.
JUN

--- Sean Crocker <crockers@mail.trinicom.com> wrote:
> Jun,
>
> >I am just trying to think aloud here:
> >
> >If there is an LSP passing through the router, it
> >comes into interface A, goes out of interface B,
> >the RSVP reservation is only on interface B, is
> this
> >right? If so, how could we guarantee interface A
> will
> >have enough bandwidth for the tunnel, since its
> >bandwidth could be less than the outbound interface
> B.
>
> Normally that would not happen because the upstream
> node
> that's connected to interface A should fail the
> reservation
> (or actually the preceeding PATH) since it *should*
> have an
> accurate idea of the links's remaining reservable
> bandwidth.
>
> However, that holds true mainly for P2P links, not
> multiple
> nodes on a shared media. Even worse, consider the
> following:

Ingress(GigE)-Switch-(FastE)NodeA(GigE)--(GigE)Egress