[nsp] Frame Relay Congestion management

From: Cheung, Rick (Rick.Cheung@NextelPartners.com)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 13:34:14 EDT

        Hi. I have a question on frame relay congestion management. We have
a hub and spoke environment, with several T1s originating at the hub, that
connects about 50 sites via 128 or 256kbps CIR and 512kbps port speed.

        We are seeing above 2% discards on the hub end for outgoing packets
out of each T1 interface. We do not have any Frame traffic shaping, or QOS
enabled yet in the infrastructure.

        We are looking to deploy video streaming over the enterprise, and
potentially VOIP or VOFR in the future.

        I am thinking of implementing frame relay traffic shaping, via rate
enforcement.

        I'm not as certain about selecting the correct queueing method. I've
read that Flow based WFQ is FECN, BECN aware, but may not be as granular as
Class based WFQ.

        What has been your experience as being the best queueing method in a
Frame environment?

Thanks
Rick