Re: [nsp] Cisco GSR 12416 vs Juniper M160

From: Robert E. Seastrom (rs@seastrom.com)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 14:08:57 EDT

"Deepak Jain" <deepak@ai.net> writes:

> You can't argue the money was well spent though. Most people who read that
> report will think, "Yeah, I want video, and Yeah, I want voice, and Yeah! I
> want QoS!".

Oh, absolutely! It was certainly in Cisco's best interests to pay for
these "tests". By sponsoring such a bakeoff before Juniper did, they
could easily make sure that the tests were engineered so as to not
tickle such inconveniences as gratutitous reboots and dCEF coherency
issues that we (the hapless ISPs and end-users) have learnt to accept
as our lot in life. I mean, you'll never see even a hint of the dCEF
bugs if you're cranking your traffic with source and destination that
are "connected", eh? :)

I have to admit, though, that this kind of tomfoolery will make me
suspicious of any test results that come out of Mier from now on. :(

                                        ---Rob