Re: [nsp] WCCP & the 6500

From: Lincoln Dale (ltd@cisco.com)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 20:53:31 EST

At 02:31 AM 14/12/2001 -0800, Edward S. Desouza wrote:
>Hi,
> I have a squid box configured for WCCP V1. The Box
>works 100 % ok when conencted to a 7500 series box.
>However when plugged into a 6509, the cache gets
>detected, but the status shows as "not usable"

"Not Usable" as a status means something isn't working in the WCCP protocol.
a "term mon", "debug ip wccp packets" and "debug ip wccp events" will give
you some clue as to what is going wrong.

as a guess, i'd say that you're getting "wrong protocol" or "bad packet"
messages.
it is probably likely that your 75xx is running an IOS release where WCCPv1
is default and 12.1E for the cat6k has WCCPv2 as default.

squid (publically) only supports WCCPv2 - so you'll need "ip wccp version
1" as a global config command if this is the case.

> Also, have any of you tried rnning WCCP v1 on a
>squid box where the home router is multiple hops away
>from the cache ? The config does not seem to work in
>this scenario with the home router detecting the
>cache, but not forwarding any data to the cache.

WCCP supports the concept of the cache being multiple hops away, using a
GRE tunnel between the router & cache.

it is likely one of the many bugs in squid's WCCP implementation.

>On
>doing a debug, I have found that the router is sending
>me a 20 byte packet instead of the usual 64 byte wccp
>udp packet.

not sure what you mean here????
redirected packets encapsulated inside a GRE tunnel typically have:
  - an additional 20-byte ip header on the front (GRE encapsulation)
  - an additional 4-byte WCCP header.

whatever the size of the UDP port 2048 (control-plane) WCCP messages is not
relevant.

cheers,

lincoln.