Re: [nsp] OSPF announcements

From: Niels Bakker (niels@euro.net)
Date: Mon Jul 13 1998 - 04:54:56 EDT

Hi,

> We'd like to get them to talk only OSPF to us, using RIP only for their
> internal routing. This means their OSPF process should announce a
> route to the entire /16 allocation. We can redistribute that route to
> BGP and announce it onwards.

they could do this:

ip route 1.2.0.0 255.255.0.0 Null0
router ospf 1
 redistribute static

or configure ospf to only distribute a summary. If they upgrade to an IOS
version dated this decade they can filter announcements with a route-map
(it is of course advisory for you to do the same), they can build a filter
that only allows routes of with a length of /16 to pass through.

Redistributing from a customer into BGP is dangerous. I'd do the following
on your router instead:

ip route 1.2.0.0 255.255.0.0 Serial0
router bgp 1234
 redistribute static subnets

Then, the route gets advertised if their leased line is up, and only flaps
if their leased line goes down, and not if their (or your) OSPF process
goes belly-up, or one of the subnets making up the supernet summary flaps.

Take care,

--
Niels Bakker,                          * *      EuroNet Internet BV
Network Operations                   *     *    Herengracht 208-214