Re: [nsp] OSPF to customers

From: Philip Smith (pfs@cisco.com)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 18:33:34 EST

It's generally a very bad idea to do this. If you run OSPF as your backbone
IGP, and the OSPF to your customer, you are adding unnecessary routes into
your IGP (never mind if your customer decides to run OSPF and you end up
with all his prefixes in your IGP too). The goal of any IGP design is to
minimise the number of prefixes in there...

Some ISPs, as Gert mentioned, use a different IGP under tight control
between their aggregation router and the customers. But this needs to be
handled very carefully.

The best way, and really the only sensible way, is to use eBGP. RFC2270
gives the outline principle, check out the tutorial I gave at the last
NANOG for some real config examples
(http://www.cisco.com/public/cons/seminars/NANOG23/BGP-Multihoming-Techniques.pdf).

philip

--

At 20:37 29/10/2001 -0500, Lee Waskevich wrote: >Just curious if anyone out there as a service provider is running OSPF >with Customer routers who have multiple connections to the same provider, >but these connections are such (over multiple mediums) that a weighted >static route will not work. Since the protocol has to die for the other >route to pick up. Pleae let me know any examples (Areas used--stub or >such) and/or concerns, warnings. Thanks > > >lee >