Re: requirements sub-group draft

From: Howard C. Berkowitz (hcb@clark.net)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 13:13:15 EST

At 9:52 AM -0800 1/14/02, Randy Bush wrote:
> >> i thought we were doing layer three routing, not layer two switching. if
>>> the latter, then we have to cover frame relay, atm, mpls, ethernet, ...
>>> i think we will have more than enough work if we stick to the internet
>>> protocols and packets.
>> Is the idea of a technology-independent sub-IP control abstraction
>> within scope? It would have such primitives as "create path with
>> constraints".
>
>circuit/path provisioning is an important issue for isps. but it is not
>ip routing.
>
>randy

Hopefully, we won't preclude the use of routing as an input to more
automated provisioning.

In addition, things get blurred, admittedly when we talk about things
we can today, when we start talking about systems of tunnels
overlaying the actual circuits. Augmented routing protocols may very
well be the signaling mechanisms for such systems.