some doubts in TE

From: Tony Li (tli@Procket.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 00:58:30 EST

 | I have found a right forum to answer my questions

Well, actually no you haven't. This is an inappropriate use of this list.
This list is for members of the IRTF to discuss routing research issues and
it should not be used as an educational forum.

 | So,like I also have a question like if traditional traffic models itself
 | provides a way for all TE capabilities ..why is the need for TE
 | mechanisms proposed by IETF ITEWG like service differentiation and QoS
 | stuff all ..

There are varying opinions on the need or practicality of service
differentiation and QoS in the Internet. To the best of my knowledge, no
major carrier has actually deployed a real service differentiated QoS
offering. Note that some have sold certain services, but I'm unaware of
any that is actually backed up by a real service model. Of course, I'm not
omniscient. ;-)

 | After going
 | through most of the drafts in ITEWG..i got the idea that "This WG
 | provides some mechanisms and frame work for TE and have not concentrated
 | much on actual TE mechanisms..please clarify in this regard ...what is
 | the actual objective of ITEWG other than giving inputs to other Wg's
 | like MPLS and CCAMP...

Perhaps you should ask the WG. We cannot speak to their intentions.

 | when there
 | are mechainsms for doing TE in IP networks itself ??? why cant they just
 | be used..

They can be.

 | so what is the real
 | advantage of MPLS for TE which IP networks cant provide ...

There are also varying opinions here. Some here would say that there is no
need for TE. Others would say that it is not reasonably possible to get
the IP forwarding plane to do the convoluted routing necessary to support TE.

 | The paper
 | which you gave as a part of our course CS520 did give a reason like
 | using non-shortest paths..Is there is any advantage other than this or
 | is this feature brings the whole advantage of TE for MPLS networks

Certainly if you are constrained to following the shortest path, this
limits the ability of TE to provide any benefit whatsoever.

 | In a
 | nutshell, we can view three choices for TE 1. Traditional traffic
 | modelling taken from the well tested telephone networks by all possion
 | modelling ,FBM , erlang calculation and all those stuff 2. Using IP
 | network TE as proposed by Dr.Jennifer and et all in "NETSOPE " and also
 | by optimizing OSPF weights 3.Use the option of Multiservice networks
 | like MPLS to TE by service diff and other QoS optimization
 | principles.... Can they not combine all this work and provide a
 | posisble solution

It seems unlikely that anything quite so complicated is worthwhile.

 | Also one more question regarding this issue...when we
 | have BW why should we do TE ????

Generally, there's little point.

Tony