RE: some doubts in TE

From: Naidu, Venkata (Venkata.Naidu@Marconi.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 15:24:50 EST

Senthil:

-> In a nutshell, we can view three choices for TE
-> 1. Traditional traffic modelling taken from the well tested
-> telephone networks by all possion modelling ,FBM , erlang
-> calculation and all those stuff
-> 2. Using IP network TE as proposed by Dr.Jennifer and et all
-> in "NETSOPE " and also by optimizing OSPF weights
-> 3. Use the option of Multiservice networks like MPLS to TE by
-> service diff and other QoS optimization principles....

  We have had many discussions on this subject.
  You may look at this thread...
  http://www.psg.com/lists/te-wg/te-wg.2001/threads.html#00058

-> Can they not combine all this work and provide a posisble
-> solution

  After the above discussion, authors presented a combined
  approach to IETF TEWG:
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wang-te-hybrid-approach-00.txt

-> Also one more question regarding this issue...when we have BW
-> why should we do TE ???? Is there is any place where we need TE
-> mecahnisms even when their is infinite BW .

   You are asking for something impractical...

   Look at an extract from ...
   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tewg-principles-02.txt

           An important objective of Internet traffic engineering is to
        facilitate reliable network operations [RFC-2702]. Reliable network
        operations can be facilitated by providing mechanisms that enhance
        network integrity and by embracing policies emphasizing network
        survivability. This results in a minimization of the vulnerability
of
        the network to service outages arising from errors, faults, and
        failures occurring within the infrastructure.

   Bandwidth is just one of the resource. But traffic engineering is
   more than just links and bandwidth. If you assume, every link in the
   Internet has infinite bandwidth then, there won't be any
   need for end-to-end argument. Give consideration to greedy citizens
   of Internet community... ;-)

Venkata.

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then
attachment, use the contents for any purposes, or disclose the contents to
any other person: to do so could be a breach of confidence.