Re: Poke Poke...

From: Alex Zinin (azinin@nexsi.com)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 15:39:20 EST

Frank,

> Howard, Avri and I talked about this at some length. Then
> Sean and I talked. As the IRTF/RRG is set up, it is not our
> job to come up with The Definitive Once And For All Set of
> Routing Requirements. That smacks of "A Standard" and the IRTF
> does not do Standards... So, if two different groups within the
> RRG wish to produce a document and those documents overlap in
> some way, that's quite OK. The IETF if/when they wish would,
> in theory, spin up some working group(s) to look into the
> Standardization side of things and _they_ would need to come
> up with The One True Answer...

Before the IETF will attack the engineering side of the problem,
they will need to have a single set of requirements. If they
don't have it from the IRTF, a requirements WG will need to
be established in the IETF to do this and I suppose the same
set of people will be active there.

To me, the question is: is there a good reason NOT to have
a single document, i.e., are the requirements sets you're seeing
so much different from each other (which didn't seem to be true
based on the presentations in SLC) or is it just the document
ownership/authorship problem? Can't you guys just get along? ;))

Alex