Re: one requirements doc or more?

From: Alex Zinin (azinin@nexsi.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 00:56:29 EDT

Frank,

>>This really isn't the case. It's fine if the RG produces a single
>>requirements document - though not required - and I agree with other
>>posters that this would be quite desirable if doable.

> I agree, if we peoduced one document then it would be fine.
> But if that were _required_

I think it is just mere community input you're hearing,
not a requirement per se :)

> then the IETF would end up
> taking it as The Requirements and not just One Group Of People's
> Requirements.

I wouldn't be so optimistic ;)

> Even worse, there are probably vendors, etc,
> out there who, seeing the Internet Draft, will say "Aha!
> The Requirements Standard!!" We _know_ that people do this,
> so why cater to their lack of intellectual capacity?

There are people out there who call I-Ds "RFCs" and
all RFCs "standards"... I don't think we should be worried
about this problem, but rather do what people feel is
the right thing to do (and no, it is not necessarily what
I think the right thing is)...

Alex