[cisco-voip] FXS module breaking

Mike Armstrong mfa at crec.ifas.ufl.edu
Wed Mar 2 11:25:28 EST 2005

Wow.  "Just stops working" is a little ambiguous.  If a reboot of the router
doesn't help, then I think you can rule out software, and I gather that
replacing the module fixes things, so it's almost certainly hardware.  If it
were me, I'd just buy a couple of spares (check eBay) and keep my Smartnet
contract paid up.  After you send in a few for replacement, eventually Cisco
might get interested in finding out what's wrong with them.  Even if you
don't have a service contract, you might persuade Cisco to analyze one to
determine why it failed.  Here's a couple of links to CCO tech docs that
might help, but unfortunately don't give a step-by-step troubleshooting
baedeker:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a008011c7f3.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094fac.shtml

I'm still betting on an external problem that zaps the interface.  The
startup diagnostics would check out most of the inboard circuitry, I'd
guess, but can't do much to check the outside interface.  If there's any
chance of that, a simple surge protector on the line might solve the
problem.  There may be a loopback test of some sort you could try, but I
couldn't find any info on that handily.

mike