[cisco-voip] Demo Versions..and home lab setup

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Mar 10 10:12:13 EST 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 10:01:49AM -0500, Marc Hering wrote:
> Hey Guys,
> I just managed to get my hands on 2 7960's for my home lab and I had a
> few questions..
> If I wanted to run Call manager at home for testing purposes (Learning
> etc) is there a way to get CCM 4.x to load on a Non MCS server?  (I have
> a HP Netserver PIII at home with 2 gig of Ram, more then sufficent for a
> 2 phone setup and I am trying to get another one so I can cluster it)
> Is there a "Demo" version of CCM that perhaps is restriced to under 2
> phones?  I already have a demo unity license.   Again, this is all for
> home and is for learning purposes..I am planning to break stuff
> intentionally with this....
>
> I either have, or am in the process of aquiring the following.
>
> 2 7960's
> 1 Netserver (For CCM)
> 1 1760-V router with PRI card and 2 FXO cards (FXO will hook to PSTN,
> PRI will go to Lucent system with another POTS to PSTN)
> 1 Lucent Partner system (PRI Card enabled) W/ voice mail (2 phones)
> 1 Dell Server (for unity)
> 1 Catalyst 2924 Switch
> 2 Power bricks for the phones
> 1 PIX 501 (Cause I gotta have it! :) )
>
> Is there anything else you guys can reccommend I obtain for my home lab?
> (Unfortunatly, since this is coming out of my own pocket, money is a
> barrier ..so I am trying to go the inexpensive route here......

	Since you're doing things on the cheap, you may also want
to check into stuff like the new SipX pbx, as well as ser, asterisk
and even possibly vocal.

	I've taken hardware i've acquired over the years including
7960s, FXO-M1, FXS and converted my home to a SIP based telephony
network (of course it's on a UPS) using a VoIP carrier for
my long distance.  I know that most people here are SCCP/CM folks, but
there's also us folks in the SIP world out there ;-).

	The ability to route my calls out my home internet
connectivity for $.02/min, plus toll-free at the same rate for
our friends to call us is quite nice.

	It may be worthwhile to get some SIP experience even with CM,
so you might want to sign up for a fwd or other free SIP accounts to
play with dialing other people.

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net