[cisco-voip] Static noise on FXO ports

OConnell, Ryan Ryan.OConnell at nexinnovations.com
Thu Jun 8 15:49:09 EDT 2006

Hello all,

I've been battling this issue with what was suppose to be a simple
little CME install for 10 people for a little while now and I'm at my
wits end. My customer has a 2801 router with VIC2-4FXO a single PVDM2-8
DSP and an 8 port powered Etherswitch module. I have turned vad on/off,
comfort noise on/off, I have played with input gain, output gain, and
impedance settings. I tested the pots lines with a regular analog phone
I get no noise at all. When making a call as soon as the call is
connected the static starts. Internal IP to IP phone calls are great and
calls over the WAN are great. TAC had me do a procedure where I captured
the voice to a wav file before it went through the DSP and after it went
through the DSP and the static can not be heard. I also got the TELCO in
to test the lines for any nuances and I had the customer ground the rack
the 2801 was mounted into. Lastly TAC shipped me all brand new equipment
but the problem still persists after I swapped it out.

I'm running 12.3(14T) IOS. This customer has a second site with
identical hardware and IOS and is not experiencing the problem.

It has to be the phone lines but the Telco says they are fine and since
I can plug a regular phone into the line and get no noise it is hard to
argue with them.

Thoughts?

Ryan O'Connell

Senior Consultant CCIE Voice (13382)