[cisco-voip] Vmware Supported by Cisco...Thoughts??

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Fri Jun 16 10:46:29 EDT 2006

I think VMWare (especially the ESX verison) has definate advantages, even in a production environment. As far as I know the underlying OS is as transparent as it can get to the client O/S and application. There are many educational institutions which are experimenting with this sort of datacentre. I'm not sure the single point of failure argument stands either, from what I gather, setting up two ESX servers with shared data stores is quite fault tolerant. Then again, I'm sure we'd all get at least two VMware servers, seperating our pubs and subs equally.

I think Cisco should at least investigate a version of CallManager, et al, for the lab so that we can effectively and effeciently build our labs to properly support our deployments. There are many institutions which lease their servers so when they replace them they don't have anything to migrate to the lab.

Then again, I've been waiting a long time for CSCdr03425 to be fixed, so I doubt VMware support is going to be done anytime soon. ;)

            CSCdr03425 Bug Details

            Headline  AVVID: Allow additional line appearances to be forwarded from phone
            Product  ciscocm
            Feature  OTHERS  Duplicate of
            Severity  6  Severity help Status  New  Status help
            First Found-in Version  2.4(2b) First Fixed-in Version    Version help