[cisco-voip] CM/IPT monitoring tools

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 12:00:55 EDT 2007

NetIQ has a product out there also for managing cisco voip, might be worth
looking at and comparing too. We're planning on evaluating it probably this
spring. We're in the same boat that you are with monitoring and management
tools.

I evaluated Prognosis a couple years ago but I wasn't thrilled with the
interface and setup, also at the time it was a agent loaded on CCM which I
didnt like. I understand with CM5 they have by necessity a separate agent
off of call manager now. Pre-sales/support didn't really give me a warm and
fuzzy feeling during our eval either, but that was just my experience and
like I said it was a few years ago. Now that I have a better handle on what
I want, maybe it would look better to me :) Last time they contacted me they
were trying to use the VTech tragedy as a possible sales point, which REALLY
turned me off big time.

We're actually looking at NetQoS now from a performance monitoring
perspective enterprise wide (data network, applications group, etc), looks
like its very good a performance monitoring obviously, but not sure yet if
it will alarm on IP phone registrations and the like yet. Still need to look
at their VoIP potion of the product myself.

We kinda got burned by Ciscoworks initially (before it was ops manager), we
got it when we first implemented VoIP as part of the order, not knowing any
better and not having any environment to test it out in. I've heard that its
improved, but like Hesham said in his email  have never heard any rave
reviews of it so evaluating it isn't a priority right now. Also Cisco
doesn't seem to offer any software upgrade assurance with their maintenance
packages for ciscoworks.. our net operations is running into this with their
ciscoworks LMS, so i'm less inclined to buy the voice solution if i'm going
to have to buy it all over again later to get new features and improvements
to the product.

On 10/11/07, Gibson, Brian (Jersey City) <brian.gibson at stifel.com> wrote:

>  Hi guys,
>

> Can you tell me what monitoring tools you use to keep an eye on your
> CM/IPT system?  RTMT is fine for broad brush stuff but I am looking for
> tools that are a bit more granular.
>

> I have tried the Cisco Operations Manager and find it to be somewhat
> lacking.   As with most CiscoWorks tools it doesn't seem to have much in the
> way of fine tuning capability.
>

> More specifically I am looking for tools that can give me specific alerts
> on PRIs going down, MGCP gateways losing connection, specific phones
> deregistering.  But I don't want tools that will give me 100 alerts an hour.
>

> I have tried to get use my SNMP poller(SolarWinds) to check these statuses
> but I haven't had much luck in finding the right MIBs.

> All electronic messages sent and received by Stifel Nicolaus
>
> Associates are subject to review by Stifel Nicolaus. Stifel Nicolaus
>
> may retain and reproduce electronic messages for state, federal, or
>
> other regulatory agencies as required by applicable law.
>
> IMPORTANT: Please do not use e-mail to request or authorize the
>
> purchase or sale of any security or commodity, send fund transfer
>
> instructions, or otherwise conduct any securities transactions. Any
>
> requests, orders, instructions, or time-sensitive messages sent by
>
> e-mail cannot be accepted or processed by Stifel Nicolaus. The
>
> accuracy of any information sent by Stifel Nicolaus through e-mail
>
> cannot be warranted or guaranteed by Stifel Nicolaus or its affiliates.
>
>  Stifel, Nicolaus & Company, Incorporated
>
> Member NYSE & SIPC
>
> Headquarters: 501 N. Broadway, St. Louis, MO 63102
>
> 314-342-2000

Ed Leatherman
Senior Voice Engineer
West Virginia University
Telecommunications and Network Operations