[cisco-voip] cm5.1 and 6.0 'SRs' on Cisco.com

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Thu Oct 25 14:16:28 EDT 2007

Hi Justin,

5.1.2es will include a subset but not all fixes from 5.1.3.  Later
5.1.2es will contain fixes that are not present in 5.1.3.  Unfortunately
there is not a clear answer on the break even point.

The timing of 5.1.2es release was unfortunate in relation to the 5.1.3
release.  However, there is a large customer base who would rather stay
on 5.1.2es rather than do complete upgrade to 5.1.3 to avoid the 'new
feature's that come with 5.1.3.

The release process is most akin to the 4.x SR process.
An 'es' is produced internally.  It is tested and distributed to
specific customers for 4 weeks.  Provided not major issues are raised in
4 weeks the es is posted to Cisco.com for publicly available.  Only 1 es
will post every 4 weeks.  Previously TAC was distributing ES via the SFA
process several hundred times per month.  Original release schedule had
maintenance release on Cisco.com once every 8-12 months.  This
significantly shortens the release cycle for those who need additional
fixes beyond the base release.

The basic ES process delivers code that is compiled, built as an
installer and minimally tested for install and service start.  There is
significant testing and exposure difference between this basic es
process and and the ES that is posted to Cisco.com.  The ES that is
posted to Cisco.com actually receives more testing than the SR's of 4.x.

/Wes

Justin Steinberg wrote:
> How do I know whether an ES is incorporated into a newer release of CM code?
>
> For example, 5.1.2es 5.1.2.3104-1 was released on October 4th.  5.1.3
> was released on Oct 1st.  Is it fair to assume then that the fixes in
> 5.1.2.3104-1 are not included in 5.1.3, or is it just that the files
> were posted at different times?  (also, when I read the 5.1.3 release
> notes it doesn't indicate when it branched from 5.1.2)
>
> I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong but, I don't recall
> any SR's being released on the 4.1.2 branch once 4.1.3 was released.
>
> So I'm confused as to why development on 5.1.2 (via ES updates) would
> be released concurrently with 5.1.3 versions.
>
> I just want to make sure that if I apply an ES for 5.1.2 that I won't
> gain any features/fixes that I might lose if I then upgrade to 5.1.3.
> (I can understand losing features for a major upgrade from 5.1.3 to
> 6.x (just like 4.2 to 5.0)
>
> This release cycle kinda seems a little more like the traditional CCM
> ES concept than a SR. Am I reading this incorrectly?
>
> Thanks.
> Justin
>

> On 10/25/07, Scott Voll <svoll.voip at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Wes for all the information you bring to us!
>>
>> Scott
>>

>> On 10/25/07, Wes Sisk <wsisk at cisco.com> wrote:
>>
>>> For CM3.x and 4.x days Cisco had SR releases every 1-2 months to make
>>> fixes available on Cisco.com.  There was no similar process for CM5.x or
>>> 6.x until now.  Every 4 weeks Cisco will now publish an 'SR' for 5.1 and
>>> 6.0 to this location:
>>> http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/CUCM-ES5X