[cisco-voip] DMA 4.2 to 6.x staging !!!

Jonathan Charles jonvoip at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 11:13:48 EDT 2008

OK, here is the email I got from TAC when it happened... no bug ID either:

This is [dome dude] with Cisco Systems and I will be handling your service
request # [tac case], I am sending this e-mail out as per our phone
conversation to give you information on how to contact me.

Unfortunately the CallManager hostname cannot be changed, and since the
Underscore is not a DNS supported character, it is needed to make a clean
installation and build up the configuration, next are two links that will
address your question, besides you will find a lot of information in regards
to underscore issues at the internet:

Cisco CallManager System Issues:
<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/trouble/4_1_3/tb413ch4.h
tml>
Domain Name System (DNS)-supported characters include all letters (A-Z,
a-z), numbers (0-9), and hyphen (-), and any special characters are not
allowed.

Changing the IP Address for Cisco Unified CallManager / Unified
Communications Manager:
<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/trouble/4_1_3/tb413ch4.h
tml>
Note: It is not supported to change the hostname on the Cisco CallManager
server because the Structured Query Language (SQL) database does not support
the hostname change. This is because SQL uses the server name for many of
the tables related to Cisco CallManager and exchanges this information as
such with the operating system. When SQL server is installed, it binds the
database to both the machine and Cisco CallManager server names. If this is
changed, the database does not replicate properly since the new Cisco
CallManager or machine name is not updated correctly by SQL. If a hostname
change is inevitable, then the entire Cisco CallManager must be rebuilt.

Please let me know any other question you may have or if the case can be
closed.

Great help, really.

Jonathan