[cisco-voip] STUCK!#$^: Calling CCM transcoder from IPIPGW

Michael Thompson mthompson729 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 15:16:21 EDT 2008

I'm stuck in a situation where I had to bastardize some gear together to get
my study lab in place.

Short story is that my HQ-RTR is a 3640.  I am running a code that is
allowing me to do IPIPGW.  In the lab guides, it has you doing transcoding
on that box as well.

My problem lies in that I have an NM-HDV and not an NM-HDV2.  Best I can
tell, the NM-HDV won't sync to CME, only to CCM for SCCP.  So to get
transcoding resources for my IPIPGW, I configured one of my 6608 ports as a
CCM transcoder.

When I place calls from HQ Ph 1 to BR2 Ph1, my call fails.  I've narrowed it
down to a transcoding (all related peers to G711 and it works like a charm).

So I want to work through my logic to see what I'm missing and to ask what
device should be calling the transcoder (I would think the SIP trunk to the
IPIPGW would call it).

IPIPGW Region

            G711 local, G711 to each other region

IPIPGW MRG

            Contains SW MTP resources from Sub and Pub

            Contains HW XCoder built from 6608 (and yes it's registered)

IPIPGW MRGL

            Contains IPIPGW MRG

IPIPGW Device Pool

            Reg=IPIPGW, MRGL=IPIPGW (redundant info)

HQ Location

            Unlimited bandwidth

Route Pattern 3XXX => SIP_IPIPGW_TR trunk

SIP trunk in the IPIPGW Device Pool.  Also using IPIPGW MRGL, HQ_Location

Trunk IP 172.10.100.1 (Loop of HQ-RTR)

My question is this:

As the call from HQ phone to BR2 phone takes this path:  CCM => HQ-RTR
(IPIPGW)=> BR2

Now obviously the IPIPGW is doing not only DTMF translation (from H245-alpha
to rtp-ntp) but also codec translation.  So I assume that the IPIPGW has to
call the transcoder.  Question is, does send upstream requests back to CCM
during call setup that it needs its transcoder or is there another
configuration that needs to be added to the IPIPGW?  Since these resources
obviously aren't on box, how do I tell it to look to CCM.

I am comfortable with configuring an IOS device as a local transcoder (using
CME) or even as a IOS transcoder in CCM, but this one is escaping me.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.