[cisco-voip] Extension Mobility and AD users

Tim Smith thsglobal at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 04:22:55 EDT 2008

Hi Jonathan,

That is pretty crazy...

Most people would have a numeric ID - like a staff ID - 6 digits or
something. Then you can turn the extension mobility service to only accept
numeric input.

It speeds the process up quite a bit.

But since your stuck with 22 character alpha numeric logins from AD..
You dont really have too many out of the box options:

1. change your usernames
2. create a separate user account for extension mobility

Probably neither of those are feasable... so you have some custom options...
You could program some sort of authentication proxy for Extension mobility
(it has open API's)

Maybe the user could have a shortcut on their desktop
The proxy could pickup and send the user ID from the PC itself
You could choose to authenticate them with a password.. or just accept they
are authenticated since they are already logged on with that
user in Windows.
Disadvantage is that you would have to wait for the PC to boot up, and logon
before you could use the phone.

Maybe you could even create a new authentication service on the phone, but
you would need a shorter and preferably numeric unique ID mapped to the user
account. It would not be sensible to use a phone number, as they change, and
they can be shared.

Cheers,

Tim