Re: [nsp] 7000/7500 architecture resources

From: Stephen Sprunk (ssprunk@cisco.com)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 16:05:59 EDT

Thus spake "kevin graham" <kgraham@dotnetdotcom.org>
> Can anyone recommend a resource for understanding the
> current architecture of the 7500?

> On a 7507/7513, is there a bridge between the two cbus's, or is it
> a function of the RSP to tie them together?

There is no direct bridge. Line cards cannot talk to each other anyways;
they can only talk to the active RSP.

> If cbus bandwidth is 1.067gbps, is my understanding correct
> that even just a GEIP and GEIP+ together will destroy the bus
> (if you're lucky enough to get them running full rates)?

If you could push that much traffic through a GEIP, yes, that'd be a
problem.

> In distributed mode, does the RSP ever get touched for direct
> adjacencies ie. when distributed, would a RSP8 make much of a
> difference at all over an RSP4.

When dCEF is on, the RSP CPU should never be forwarding any packets. The
RSP8, however, supports more memory and is faster for control-plane
functions than the RSP4.

Do be aware that packets moving between line cards go via SRAM buffers on
the RSP card, regardless of where the forwarding decision was made.
Depending on other factors, this can seriously affect throughput and
scalability.