Re: POS problems

From: Phillip Heller (pheller@bbnplanet.com)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 18:11:04 EST

Jim,

  In SONET, there are several "layers": path, line, and section.
Equipment that functions at the path level is known as Path Terminating
Equipment (PTE), and likewise, you have Line Terminating Equipment and
Section Terminating Equipment. (LTE and STE respectively)

The beauty of SONET is that the layering provides for fault isolation.

In your controller snapshot, only path errors are observed. As counters
for both line and section are clean, you can be certain that the SONET
facility is clean until the first LTE. Likewise, if errors were also
observed at the line, but not at the section, you're assured that the
facility is clean to the first STE.

|---------------------path----------------------|
| |
|---------line----------|--------line-----------|
| |
|--section--|--section--|--section--|--section--|

I'd have your telco take a look at their network element counters
beginning one LTE from your equipment.

Regards,
  Phil

Phillip Heller GTE Internetworking
Network Operations Center - Powered by BBN -
800-632-7638 AS1 and proud of it.
**Affiliation for association not representation**