Re: [nsp] Trunking questons

From: Rick Burts (burts@ccci.com)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 17:35:23 EST

Rich

dont do bridge group. you dont go to the router from the switch to
bridge, you go to route between VLANs. And multiple VLANs do not
share a subinterface, each VLAN needs its own subinterface. So define
multiple subinterfaces (one per VLAN). On each subinterface use encap
ISL (with a number that matches the VLAN number) and assign an IP
address on each subinterface (each VLAN is a separate subnet).

Rick

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Rich Sena wrote:

> OK so I'm new to trunking and trying to set it up so that multiple vlans
> on a 6509 can share a subinterface with a 7513 - currently trying to use
> isl.
>
> Problem is that when I number the subinterface on the 7513 I lose
> connectivity. Basically what I am doing is moving the addresses to the
> subinterfaces, encapsulating isl, and setting a bridge group on the 7513
> then stting trunking on the 6509 desirable
>
> Any brainfood welcome...
>
> --
> I am nothing if not net-Q! - ras@poppa.thick.net

Rick Burts, CCSI CCIE 4615 burts@ccci.com
Chesapeake Computer Consultants 410-280-8840 ex 3015
275 West Street 410-280-8859 fax
Plaza 70
Annapolis, Md 21401

Chesapeake is a certified Cisco Training Partner and also
a Cisco Professional Services partner.
We offer most of the Cisco training courses.
We also offer training in Checkpoint Firewall software and
Fore Systems and NetScout.
We also provide network consulting services including
design, management, and problem solving.
We have 24 CCIEs on our staff.