Re: [nsp] Trunking questons

From: Rich Sena (ras@poppa.thick.net)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 04:59:53 EST

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Basil Dolmatov wrote:

> > Problem is that when I number the subinterface on the 7513 I lose
> > connectivity. Basically what I am doing is moving the addresses to the
> > subinterfaces, encapsulating isl, and setting a bridge group on the 7513
> ===================================^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> If you set bridge-group, then you switch off routing IP on this
> interface, so you will have no connectivity over this interface to
> router. You have to use IRB in order to include router into bridging
> domain

Yeah I foubnd that out the hard way...

> > then stting trunking on the 6509 desirable
> Check that 6509 is configured for ISL. This box can have 802.1q as
> default trunking method...

Yep it is ISL

OK I have more questions here - I got 2 answers to one of the parts of my
question...

1 stated that I needed to set each subnet into a seperate sub-interface on
the interface that is connected to the switch and 1 said that I could
combine the subnets on the same interface - more than likely both are
right just different ways of doing the same thing. What I want to know is
what are the advantages of each. In my situation I want to segment the
broadcast domains with the VLANs - and I was hoping to reclaim the half
dozen or so wasted addresses from my subnets in the process - but it has
occured to me that I may not be able to set the single sub-interface into
multiple VLANs - is that a true statement? Can the sub-interface on the
7513 exist in multiple VLANs or do I need to keep the subnets (one for
each VLAN) and set up a differnt sub-interface for each on the 7513...

--
I am nothing if not net-Q! - ras@poppa.thick.net