Re: [nsp] REG: MPLS based VPN's

From: Zaheer Aziz (zaziz@cisco.com)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 02:00:04 EDT

At 11:16 AM 10/04/2000 +0530, Vinod Anthony Joseph Cherunni wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>We are in the process of provisioning MPLS on an packet only (IP) based infrastructure, primarily to cater to corporate VPN requirements. My questions are as follows -
>
>1. By provisioning an MPLS based VPN can I commit bandwidth guarantees to my VPN customers (something like Frame Relay CIR).

This could be achieved when MPLS-VPN works in conjunction with MPSL Traffic Engineering and GB (Guarenteed Bandwidth)
feature is used. I am not too sure if all is available on a general release.

>2. I have read that MPLS VPN's seperate the Internet routing tables from customer routing information. When a VPN is provisioned for a customer, how does the routing actually happen? The customer would prefer to run his own routing protocol between his sites, & how does a service provider provision this.

customer and ISP has to run a routing protocol (statics would also work at the ISP side). Currently you could run BGP, OSPF, RIP and statics between ISP and the customer.A separate routing table (vrf routing table) is build per vrf (vpn) based on the routing protocol. When packet enters vrf interface, it is only looked at vrf routing table.

hope this helps
Zaheer