RE: [nsp] Maximum number of HSRP groups.....

From: Tony Tauber (ttauber@genuity.net)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 17:43:16 EDT

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Steve Meuse wrote:

> Beware that some non-cisco switches *may* have issues. Cabletron had issues
> with securefast and HSRP initially, due to some MAC layer caching issue. It
> hit us a few years back.
>
> -Steve

I should clarify/elaborate. Here's an excerpt from the note
I sent internal to our company about this (back in early 1998):

--
Apparently the problem is that the SFS system keeps one database
of MAC addresses per "administrative domain".  Since HSRP picks its

Cabletron indicates that they will fix this problem (really a poor
design decision, not a bug) in their 1.8 version of code due out
this summer.  In the meantime, we have to take care to keep collisions
of standby group numbers from happening.
--

Seems like presuming global MAC address uniqueness (or even w/in one administrative domain) is more problematic than some thought it would be.

Come to think of it, what does this do for IPv6 autoconfiguration using embedded MAC addresses?

If any worms crawl out of this can, please change the Subject: line to something different and more appropriate.

Also, this question shouldn't be construed as meaning I have any interest in IPv6 beyond a morbid highway accident kind of curiosity.

Tony