RE: [nsp] Chanelized E1

From: F. David Sinn (dsinn@cisco.com)
Date: Fri Dec 29 2000 - 12:18:59 EST

Both the PA-MCX-xTE1 and the NM-2CE1B can take multiple streams from
different customers and terminate them as if they were individual physical
serial interfaces. Basically you have one physical link to the Telco, and
over that link you have N number of logical connections to your customers.
This sounds like what you need for your application.

The difference between the two is that the PA-MCX-xTE1 has the added ability
to take some of the channels from one T/E1 and map them to another set of
channels on another T/E1 on the port adapter, or another port adapter within
the box (depending on the router platform, and having the right software
support). So what you can functionally make the router be is a digital
cross connect. The router doesn't physically terminate the signal on a
virtual interface, but rather pass's it through (say it is voice or
something else that you don't want terminated on the router).

David